Golden Car 2000
(A Description cum
1. The Star
Instead of a Cross, we find a star at the top of the
car. It signifies the name of Our Lady as the Star
of the Sea (Stella Maris). The name given from heaven
to the parents of Our Lady through the Angle was Mirjam
(in Hebrew) meaning the Star of the Sea. It was the
name selected by God the Father to His favored Daughter.
In this world of turbulent waters, she is the guiding
Star showing us the true path. St. Bernard says that
there cannot be a better name to our Divine Mother.
For just as the star spreads its rays of light without
losing its won light, the Virgin Mother brought forth
her Divine Son the Light of the world (Jn 8:12), without
losing her virginity. This Star illuminates the whole
world. It warms the minds, increases virtues and destroys
wickedness. It is the shining example for us all to
emulate and its light exhibits the graces and prerogatives
enjoyed by Our Lady.
This star has five points to signify the five extra-ordinary
prerogatives of Our Divine Mother, viz. (i) her Divine
Motherhood (ii)) her Immaculate Conception (iii) her
perpetual virginity (iv) she is the channel of Divine
grace and (v) she is the Gate of Heaven. The nine gold
fishes circulating under the great Star indicates the
circulation of the nine planets around Our Lady, the
Head Star, thereby signifying that God has appointed
Our Blessed Virgin as the Sovereign ruler of the whole
universe. The seven rays coming out of the Star indicate
the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.
2. The Golden Crown
The royal crown whereon rests the big Star, is the most
wonderful workmanship of art that adds beauty to the
Golden Car. It signifies the fact that Our Blessed
Virgin was crowned as the Queen of Heaven and earth.
Thus it signifies that all men are under her sovereign
rule and as such they belong to her. It also indicates
her power to drive away Satans armies as well as heresies.
3. God the Father
Just below the golden crown is the throne of God. God
the Father stands there in the figure of an aged person.
This reminds the faithful that the Blessed Virgin is
the well beloved Daughter of God, the Father. The liturgy
of the Church addresses Our Lady as O Virgin, first
conceived in the Spirit of the Creator (Hymn, First
Vespers, The Feast of Assumption : The Breviary). let
Heaven and earth rejoice, for Mary, the Byzantine Liturgy
(Sept 8). St. Peter Damian says: God dwelt in Mary
in a kind of substantial union, because He Himself
is the Mother. Hence a prominent place to God the Father
in the Golden Car.
4. The Holy Spirit
We can see the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove with
shining rays, placed in between God the Father and
Our Blessed Virgin. Our Blessed Mother is the spouse
of the Holy Spirit. Between Mary the Immaculate and
the Holy Spirit, there is a deep union not only, because
Marys will is absolutely conformed to that of the Holy
Spirit, as a dutiful spouses would be, but also because
she was always conscious and free instrument in His
regard, a true handmaid, but more precisely because
the Holy Spirit, dwells in her as in His privileged
sanctuary. (Immaculate Conception and Holy Spirit The
Marian Teachings of St. Maxi Millen Kolbe, by Fr. H.
M. Manteau Bonamy, O. P. 197, p.51)
5. God, the Son.
Jesus Christ was born in the Jewish Race founded by the
twelve sons of Jacob, the patriarch. Hence, in the
central and prominent place of the car, there stand
twelve pillars with strong basements and in their midst
and in the holy hands of our Blessed Mother who is
surrounded by the Angels, Kings, Prophets and the Evangelists,
is the incarnated Redeemer of the whole world.
Thus the car may be described as the Heavenly abode
of the Holy Trinity coming on earth as the Heavenly Jerusalem.
(Ref. Rev: 21:2)
6. The Basement of the Car
This new Jerusalem, viz, the Immaculate City of the divine
Mother was built on twelve foundations : And the wall
of the city had twelve foundations and in them, the
twelve names of the apostles of the lamb (Rev: 21 :
And the foundations of the wall of the city were adorned
with all manner of precious stones (Rev: 21 :9). The
Twelve precious stones remind us of the twelve special
prerogatives of our divine Mother.
The heads of the four parrots found on the four corners
of the basement tell us that the parava people were the
heirs of Pandya Kings. Besides, to show that this Golden
Car is made in thanks giving of the sea-faring people,
four mermaids, with human heads and bodies of fish are
erected. The four stand on the four borders with folded
To signify the rosary of fifty three beads of Hail Marys
first uttered at Annunciation which was the result of
Immaculate Conception, the car is made in the height
of 53 feet. To show that the Divine Mother is the Mother
of the Church, the car rolls on Six wheels signifying
the six precepts of the Church and instructing the faithful
that the car should be taken round only on the guidance
of the spiritual leaders of the Church.
7. The City of God
If we view the Golden Car with the above descriptions
and explanations, it will be seen that it is not merely
a chariot take in procession the Divine Mother to honor
her. Rather, it will be seen that it is a temple of
art and architecture, the Mystical City of God, constructed
by God the Father from all-eternity, coming down to
present to out naked eyes the glory of the Immaculate
Conception of Our Heavenly Mother.
Mr. Navis Fonseka, the Catholic architect who designed
and made the Golden Car, must not have been a mere architect
but he must have mastered the Catholic dogmas and Scriptures
besides being inspired from above. This is seen in every
figure he has carved and in theirr minute details. For,
the structure, the number of ornaments, the length, breadth
and height all agree to the inspired explantions of BL.
Mary of Adreda, written in 1650, to chapter 21 of St.
Johns Apocalypse (vide Mystical City of God vol. ch.
17, 18 and 19).
The Golden Car was first taken in procession on 2nd
February 1806 and then on 5th August in the years, 1872,
1879, 1895, 1905, 1908, 1926, 1947, 1955, 1964, 1977,
1982 and 2000, being the Jubilee Year. It was taken along
usual routes on the roads of Thoothukudi on August 5th
led by 25 Catholic Bishops, and presided by the Apostolic
Nuncio in India.